New bridge, named Genoa San Giorgio, replaces Morandi bridge that collapsed in 2018
Relatives of the 43 people killed when the Morandi bridge in Genoa collapsed in 2018 have criticised the “celebration” that will surround the inauguration of the replacement bridge.
On Monday evening, planes creating colours of the Italian flag will fly above the new bridge, named Genoa San Giorgio, before it is officially opened by President Sergio Mattarella.
The structure, completed less than two years after the tragedy on 14 August 2018, will also be adorned with Italy’s green, white and red tricolour and the St George’s Cross, which Genoa adopted as its emblem.
There will be a minute’s silence and the names of the victims will be read aloud.
Their families will not be at the ceremony but have a private meeting arranged with Mattarella beforehand.
Egle Possetti, whose sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew were among those killed, said: “I feel terrible. It’s a horrible day as everyone is celebrating. OK, the bridge is ready, but where is the attention on justice for the victims? The ceremony was supposed to be sombre, but now we see all the decoration – it’s almost like a wedding.”
In an interview with the Guardian earlier this year, Possetti said the Morandi bridge, which was beset with structural problems, should have been demolished long before it collapsed.
Giovanni Toti, the president of the Liguria region, told the Italian press that the inauguration ceremony would be modest. He said “there is nothing to celebrate”, before adding that “work and commitment must be celebrated”. The first vehicles will cross the bridge from 5 August.