Indian embassy officials in Beijing have said the speech of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to chief ministers on June 18, as well as the comments by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, have been deleted from two Chinese social media accounts, including Weibo.
Earlier this week, a violent clash at the Indo-China border in eastern Ladakh had left 20 Indian Army soldiers dead, and others injured. As per Indian intercepts, 43 people had been injured or killed on the Chinese side.
The narrative seems to be somewhat different depending on which country you ask. But while India has allowed the remarks of the Chinese government to be available to all, the same does not seem to be happening in the neighbouring country. Reportedly, Chinese social media accounts have deleted comments posted by the Indian Embassy in Beijing. This includes comments by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Weibo pages of the Indian embassy and its WeChat group -- both of which have thousands of followers -- have had posts deleted. As per a PTI report that quoted Indian Embassy officials, the transcript of MEA spokesperson Anurag Srivastava's comments were found to have been removed from the Embassy's account on Sina Weibo on June 18. After that the Indian officials re-published the screen shots of Srivastava's comments on June 19. The comments had also been removed from the MEA's WeChat account.
Reportedly, a note on WeChat says, "unable to view this content because it violates regulations." Additionally, the app claims that PM Modi's June 18 remarks have been "deleted by the author" -- something that Embassy officials deny.
The move comes in the backdrop of the violent face-off between the Indian and Chinese armies in the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh on Monday in which 20 Indian military personnel were killed, significantly escalating the already volatile situation in the region.
Indian Embassy officials said the transcript of the remarks of the MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava were found to have been removed from the Embassy's account of Sina Weibo on June 18.
After that, the Indian officials re-published the screenshots of Srivastava's comments on June 19.
Sina Weibo which is similar to Twitter in China has millions of users and all embassies in Beijing besides several world leaders including Prime Minister Modi have opened their accounts to interact with the Chinese people.