Grand temple will be built for Ram Lalla who lived in temporary tent for years, says PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who led the Ram Mandir bhoomi pujan ceremony in Ayodhya on Wednesday in a landmark event for the Ram Janmabhoomi agitation, said that Lord Ram will finally have a grand temple after living in a tent for decades.
Speaking after performing the main rituals of the bhoomi pujan ceremony at the Ram Janmabhoomi Sthal, PM Narendra Modi addressed the gathering of 175 odd guests, including the likes of RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat and UP CM Yogi Adityanath.
Modi laid a 40 kilogram (88 pound) silver brick in a ceremony attended by 175 dignitaries including 135 religious devotees in Ayodhya, a town in Uttar Pradesh state.
For decades, Hindu groups have campaigned for a temple to Lord Ram be built at the site where a 16th-century mosque stood before it was demolished by right-wing groups in 1992.
The destruction of the Babri Masjid by Hindu extremists sparked some of the worst violence seen in India since independence, with more than 2,000 people killed in nationwide rioting.
After years of legal battles, India's Supreme Court in November 2019 granted Hindu groups permission to build the Ram Temple at the centuries-old Ayodhya holy site, effectively ending the dispute.
- A grand temple will now be built for our Ram Lalla who had been staying in a tent for decades. Today Ram Janmabhoomi breaks free of the cycle of breaking and getting built again that had been going on for centuries.
- It is my good fortune that I was invited to witness this historic moment. From Kanyakumari to Kshirbhavani, from Koteshwar to Kamakhya, from Jagannath to Kedarnath, Somnath to Kashi Vishwanath, today the entire country is immersed in the belief of Lord Ram.
- With the construction of this temple, not only is history being made, but it is being repeated. The way boatmen and tribals helped Lord Ram, the way children helped Lord Krishna lift the Govardhan Mountain, similarly, with everyone's efforts, the temple construction will also be completed.
- India is creating a golden chapter in Ayodhya and a wait of centuries ends today.
- The Ram temple will become a symbol of our devotion, our national sentiment. This temple will also symbolise the power of collective resolution of crores of people. It will keep inspiring the future generations.
- 'Jai Siyaram'. This call is resonating not only in the city of Lord Ram but throughout the world today. I express gratitude to all citizens of this nation, Indian diaspora across the world and all the devotees of Lord Ram on this pious occasion.
- I believe that this grand Ram temple will reflect the rich heritage of Indian culture. I believe it will inspire the entire humanity till eternity.
PM Modi also unveiled a plaque and released a commemorative postal stamp after the bhoomi pujan ceremony.
On Wednesday, PM Modi arrived in Ayodhya in a helicopter where Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath among others received him.
Before the function to lay the foundation stone of the 'Shree Ram Janmabhoomi Mandir', marking the end of the BJP’s ‘mandir’ movement that defined its politics for three decades and took it to the heights of power, the prime minister took part in prayers at the Hanumangarhi temple.