Carrie Lam says measures would be taken ‘to reduce movement across the border’ as death toll grows
Hong Kong has reported its first death from coronavirus, as the toll in China passed 420 and its leadership admitted “shortcomings” in its handling of the outbreak.
A 39-year-old man with an underlying health condition died on Tuesday morning, according to the public broadcaster RTHK.
His death is the second outside the mainland after a Chinese national from Wuhan was confirmed on Sunday to have died in the Philippines.
China announced 64 new deaths on Tuesday – surpassing Monday’s record to confirm the biggest daily increase since the virus was detected late last year in the central province of Hubei.
The virus has killed at least 426 people, exceeding the 349 mainland deaths from the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak of 2002-03, which killed nearly 800 globally.
The total number of infections in China also rose, to more than 20,000. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the crisis a global health emergency, with at least 151 cases in 23 other countries and regions.
The virus is taking an increasing economic toll, shutting businesses, curbing international travel and affecting production lines of global brands.
China’s currency and stock markets steadied in choppy trade after anxiety over the virus hit the yuan on Monday and erased about $400bn (£308bn) in market value from Shanghai’s benchmark index. Macau, the world’s biggest gambling hub, said it had asked all casino operators to suspend operations for two weeks to help curb the spread of the virus.
Data Source: The Guardian