Iran launches missiles at Iraq airbases hosting US and coalition troops.
Missile attacks target al-Asad and Erbil airbases ‘in the name of martyr General Qassem Suleimani’.
Iran has launched more than a dozen missiles at Iraqi bases hosting US and coalition troops, declaring the strikes to be retaliation for the killing last week of Qassem Suleimani.
Al-Asad airbase in Iraq’s Anbar province was hit 17 times, including by two ballistic missiles that failed to detonate, according to the Iraqi prime minister’s office. A further five missiles were targeted at a base in the northern city of Erbil in the assault, which began at about 1.30am local time on Wednesday (10.30pm GMT).
Iraq, the UK, Australia, Canada and the US said none of their personnel had been killed or injured and both Donald Trump and the Iranian foreign minister, Javad Zarif, appeared to signal they did not wish to escalate further.
A relieved Trump struck an upbeat tone in the immediate aftermath of the strikes. “All is well!” he declared on Twitter. He said casualty assessments were under way but “so far, so good”. There had been reports the president had planned a televised address to the nation, but as it emerged there were no reported casualties he delayed making a statement until the morning.
Zarif made clear the strikes had “concluded” early on Wednesday morning and characterised them as “proportionate measures in self-defence” rather than an act of war.